Beer - one of the world’s oldest and most widely-consumed beverages. From beer halls in Germany to U.S. college bars, it is one of the most popular beverages of all time. Though its popularity, it has become a part of the culture of many nations. With celebrations such as beer festivals, anniversaries of breweries, and games including this drink, it has become an important part of society. Today is Drink Beer Day and was commemorated to celebrate drinking beer and the wonderful variety of this delicious drink. Throughout time, it has evolved and people have been able to create hundreds of flavors of beers. There are also many different types of beer depending on how it is fermented the different ingredients involved. The many types of beer include:
- Pale Ale: Predominantly comprised of pale malt and uses a top-fermenting yeast.
- Stout/Porter: Darker beer using roast barley or roasted malts. They usually have slow fermenting yeast when brewed. Included in this category are sub-varieties such as dry stout, imperial stout, and Baltic porter.
- Mild Ale: Made predominantly with a malty palate, it has an abv of 3%-3.6%.
- Wheat Beer: Contains a significant amount of malted barley but is brewed with a large proportion of wheat.
- Lambic: Naturally fermented using wild yeasts, rather than cultivated.
- Lager: Cool fermented beer using a cool bottom-fermenting yeast.
Aside from celebrating with the use of this alcoholic beverage, alcohol can also be used as a toast of commemoration or remembrance, as seen in this scene of the film Red Roses and Petrol. The film is available on DVD and digital download courtesy of World Wide Motion Pictures Corporation.